Tuesday, April 18, 2023

DESPICABLE COWARDICE

Yesterday, I witnessed the most despicable display of cowardice and meanness by United States government officials that I have ever seen. I have great empathy for the parents and families of any of the beloved children or loved  ones who were attacked, injured or killed in one of the United States' major cities. Parents and families were asked to testify before a congressional committee. Why? The local District Attorney is accused of misdirecting his efforts and resources in place of addressing crime and the deterrence of crime in his district. Violence statistics and little or no punishment for violent crimes in his city would support this claim.

One set of Congress members listened respectfully and expressed appropriate comments and sympathy. The opposing side's comments were despicable. No other words, but despicable and cowardly. They ignored the parents' and families' concerns and visible pain as they recounted their horrifying experiences. These members of congress told these people testifying they were no more than political pawns. They expressed no sympathy and one or two even laughed. Laughed at these distressed citizens.

I called those members offices this morning to tell them I knew the pain of losing a son to an act of violence which apparently they did not. I told them their words and actions were despicable.

I feel as if a dark cloud has descended upon me today in seeing such a display of a lack of empathy and cowardice. Directly in the face of these very hurt and troubled folks. Who does that? I will tell you. People who are not fit to serve in the US congress. People who are pawns of their own political party. People who have long ago lost any sense responsibility for serving US citizens in place of enriching themselves.

I am sick of seeing the number of teens and even younger children shot and killed by illegal guns everyday. The numbers are higher than ever. And who is there to support these parents? I am. I feel your pain. To the extent that I can publicly speak or write for you, I promise that I will. I will continue to to stay on local, state and federal politicians. 

Those of us who have lost our children have a voice. It can be difficult to find our voices so people in power feel our pain. To be our own advocates to honor our lost children. To try to keep this violence from happening to other parents. Well, I am no stranger to calling my US congressional representative. I am no stranger to calling the US Capitol. I will continue to do that.

I know many of you do not have the motivation and energy to act because you are weighed down by your grief. I understand. For many of us we feel our lives or a very big part of our lives died when we lost our children. It is like a book whose last several chapters were never written. 

I feel weighed down myself today and more than anything so angry and frustrated by what I witnessed. I question who is there for us? Who can recognize our pain, our frustration, our anger and finally our lack of justice?

The homicide rate is so high now in the US, that police officials say that it is possible to solve less than half of these crimes. That is hardly reassuring to any parent or family who has lost a child or other family member to an act of violence.

I ask myself when will it end? When will school shootings end? When will we have responsible politicians who will help us? Right now, it is not looking good. If you have the energy, call, email or write your representatives and senators. The phone number for the US Capitol is  202-225-3121. Just ask to be connected to your representative or senator by name. I hope some of you can call. We need to have a voice. A feeling that someone knows our pain and can enact legislation to curb this violence and end school shootings. We need hope not discouragement. But, most of all we need action!!!

                                  "The helpless call to Him and he answers... "  Psalm 37: 5 

With love and hope,

Rosemarie

If at anytime you feel helpless or have feelings of wanting to harm yourself call 988 or 911 immediately for help.


No comments:

Post a Comment